Difference Between Self-Esteem and Self-Confidence
People often confuse Self Esteem and Self Confidence. Many assume they’re simply just two different words for the same thing, but this isn’t true. You can have a lot of self-esteem and minimal self-confidence. The opposite is also true.
Having both is important. You’ll be more successful, happier in general, and happier with yourself if you can cultivate both qualities. Therefore it is important to fully understand the differences between the two.
How self-confidence and self-esteem are different:
- Self-confidence is situation specific. You can have a lot of self-confidence regarding your ability to do math, host a great party, or to play basketball. You can simultaneously have zero self-confidence in your ability to cook or sing. Self-confidence is the amount of trust you have in yourself to do a particular task well.
- Self-esteem is general impression you have of yourself. Self-esteem is a form of self-love. It’s how pleased you are with yourself in general. You can have a lot of self-confidence and very little self-esteem. The opposite can also be true.
- Self-confidence is easier to build. Self-confidence is the result of preparation and success. For example, if you prepare well for an exam, you’ll have confidence in your ability to do well on that exam. When you have a history of doing well at something, you’ll develop self-confidence in that area.
- Self-esteem can’t be built with achievements, but self-confidence can. A wall full of trophies and awards can really boost your self-confidence. However, it may do little for your self-esteem. You can be great at something without valuing yourself.
Building self-confidence is work, but the work that needs to be done is quite clear. If you want to be confident at shooting free-throws, shoot 100 of them each day until you’re consistently successful. Practice giving speeches until you’re good at giving them and you’ll develop self-confidence in that area of your life.
Learning to love yourself more will help you build self-esteem.
Practice these techniques to build your self-esteem:
- Identify your values and use them to guide your decisions. List your values and refer back to your list often. Think about changes you can make to your life to live according to your values. Failing to adhere to your values is a leading cause of low self-esteem.
- Accept perfection. This is hard for many since we are constantly told that “nobody is perfect”. What we really mean is that there is nobody in this world who has never made a mistake or who knows everything about everything. However, mistakes are part of the divine perfection we are all endowed with. They allow us to learn and grow. If you accept this as part of the broader picture of your perfect design, and use mishaps in life as stepping stones toward knowledge and growth, you will move yourself further toward a higher self esteem.
- Volunteer. Spend some of your time each week helping others that are less fortunate. This is a great way to show yourself that you’re a kind and giving person. Find an organization that serves a cause that you feel empathy for. Wanting to help and helping are not the same. Demonstrate to yourself that you are capable of helping.
- Manage your self-talk. If you spend all day insulting yourself, it’s tough to feel good about yourself. There’s no way to permanently shut down your inner vocalizations, but you can manage them. Stop yourself when you notice negative self-talk and turn it to something positive. Hypnosis is the perfect way to manage your self-talk.
- Receive hypnotherapy regularly. Hypnotherapy is not a “one and done” process. It is like exercise and massage for your mind at the same time. You have to take care of your mind with even more attention that you give to your body. In fact, your body will follow your mind. Everything begins and ends with thought. What you think about you bring about.
Self Confidence and Self Esteem live independently from each other. You can have one without the other. But it’s much more powerful to have both than to only have one. You can be wildly successful with just self-confidence, but your successes will never make you happy or satisfied without Self Esteem. Both work together synergistically to create a life experience that can’t be duplicated any other way.
Build self-confidence in the areas that serve you. Build your self-esteem so you can love yourself.
A Note on Recorded Hypnotherapy Sessions
Hypnosis is just as effective from a recording as it is in person except for certain processes such as regression therapy, circle therapy, etc where the sessions have to be customized to the reactions of the participant.
For general self esteem, relaxation, breaking bad habits, and other more generalized areas, recorded sessions are extremely effective.
I offer a number of hypnotherapy sessions that can be listened to through earbuds in the comfort of your own home with great success. For more information CLICK HERE
Article by: Dr Gary Danko – Quantum Life Repair